The Counselor Education Program at Georgia Southern University is a full-time residential program with two concentrations: School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling. The program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).CACREP Program Outcomes Report
Mission and Vision: The Counselor Education Program prepares students to practice as professional counselors and to become leaders and advocates committed to professional and personal growth, ethical practice, and social justice in clinical mental health, higher education, and school settings. Graduates are reflective, dedicated professionals committee to meeting the needs of a diverse population and pluralistic society. The Counselor Education Program is committed to the preparation and continual development of counselors-in-training and professional counselors.
Why Study Counselor Education at Georgia Southern University?
- The focus of the Counselor Education program is on training professional counselors.
- The Counselor Education concentrations in School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling, have been CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs) accredited since January 2009.
- Courses are taught by Counselor Education Faculty on campus using an experiential focus with implications for real-world practice.
- Students engage in field-based clinical experiences (i.e., practicum, internship) that support surrounding communities.
- Georgia Southern faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
- Faculty, graduates, and students regularly participate in professional organizations and assume leadership positions in these organizations.
- The Counselor Education program has two active student organizations: LPCA of Georgia Student Affiliate Group, and Gamma Sigma chapter of Chi Sigma Iota (an international honor society for professional counselors).
- Faculty are actively engaged in national service as well as counseling research and have received national and international recognition for their research and service.
- The program has a high job placement rate of graduates.
Watch this video learn more about our program