The three Counselor Education Program concentrations (Community Counseling, School Counseling, and Student Affairs) at Georgia Southern University are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Why Study Counselor Education at Georgia Southern University?
- Focus on training professional counselors
- Courses are taught by Counselor Education Faculty using an experiential focus with implications for real-world practice
- Students engage in field-based clinical experiences (i.e., practicum, internship) that support surrounding communities
- High job placement rate of graduates
- Faculty, alumni, and students regularly participate in professional organizations and assume leadership positions in these organizations
- Two active student organizations: LPCA of Georgia Student Affiliate Group and Gamma Sigma chapter of Chi Sigma Iota (an international honor society for professional counselors).
- Faculty are actively engaged in national service as well as counseling research and have received national and international recognition for their research and service
- Counselor Education concentrations in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Student Services in Higher Education, and School Counseling have been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) since January 2009
Counselor Education Program Mission Statement
The Counselor Education Program prepares students to practice as professional counselors and to become leaders and advocates who are committed to professional and personal growth, ethical practice, and social justice in clinical mental health, higher education, and school settings. Graduates are reflective, dedicated professionals committed to meeting the needs of a diverse population and pluralistic society.
Counselor Education Program Vision Statement
The Counselor Education Program is committed to the preparation and continual development of counselors-in-training and professional counselors.
For more information contact:
Benjamin Wentworth, MEd, Academic Advisor
Graduate Academic Services Center
Brandon Hunt, PhD, Program Director
Watch this video to learn more about our program