Ed.S. Admission Requirements
Deadline for complete application
*The application and all required documents for the program must be received by the deadline. If all required documents are not received by the deadline your application will not be considered for admission.
Additional information regarding first day of classes, fee deadlines, and other important dates can be found on the Academic Calendar.
Regular Admission for Ed.S. Elementary Education
- Complete requirements for a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Professional Level Five Certificate in Elementary Education, or possess or be eligible for a Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for level five Induction Certificate in Elementary Education. Candidates who have completed all eligibility requirements for the Georgia Certificate of Eligibility for a level five Induction Certificate have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a 3.25 or higher GPA on all graduate work attempted.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) hours of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
Provisional admission is a category reserved only for those applicants who submit a complete set of graduate application materials by the stated application due date listed on the Georgia Southern Academic Calendar. Upon review of the applicant’s materials it may be determined that the individual does not quite meet one of the listed Ed.S. admission criteria, e.g., graduate cumulative gpa is slightly less than the required 3.25. Provisional admission allows the graduate candidate to enter the Ed.S. Program under the condition that she/he must make a ‘B’ or better in the first 3 Ed.S. content courses. Provisional admission is not for applicants who have an incomplete application file.
Last updated: 2/22/2018