Pathways for Paraprofessionals
- Do you want to make a difference in the lives of young people?
- Are you working full time as a paraprofessional in a classroom and want to earn your teacher certification?
- Do you need a flexible environment to allow you to obtain your degree?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then Georgia Southern University’s College of Education is ready to help you achieve your goals with our NEW Pathways for Professionals program.
A program designed for working individuals
Courses offered in multiple formats including fully online, evening hours, and summer terms.
Financial support options
Funds are available through scholarships, loans and grants for qualified students.
Opportunities to build on your current skills.
Obtaining teacher certification enhances the chances of career advancement and higher salaries.
Earn your Teacher Certification in Elementary/Special Education through our online and hybrid classes
- Complete your core classes online through e-Core or take advantage of in person courses.
- A new COE teacher education cohort begins every fall semester. Complete core classes prior to admission to the teacher education program.
- More than half of our College of Education courses are offered online.
- Hybrid courses are offered in the afternoons/evenings and only require you to come to campus about four times each semester.
- Earn credit for your classroom experience for ELEM 4733 through our Prior Learning Assessment.
Earn your Teacher Certification through an accelerated fully online Bachelor’s of Interdisciplinary Studies to Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education.
- Learn more about the program and concentrations here.
- Earn a teacher’s salary once you complete your Bachelor’s of Interdisciplinary Studies while you earn your MAT.
- Not interested in teaching Special Education? Learn about our other MAT programs here.
Already have a Bachelor’s degree? Earn your teaching credentials through our Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Which pathway is best for me?
I want to take classes online and in person
Pathway One is designed for students who want a mix of online and in person classes, or adult and non-traditional students. Our undergraduate programs of study include coursework to provide a solid foundation for the knowledge and skills you will need to be an effective educator. Courses are offered online and in hybrid formats to include afternoons, evenings and summer course options. In partnership with some school systems, we have developed ways to allow field experiences in certain courses to align with the work you already do as a paraprofessional. Current partnership school systems include: Effingham, Candler, Bryan, Savannah-Chatham, Bulloch, Tattnall, and Screven. Check with our program director, Alisa Leckie if you are interested in your school system partnering with us.
Ready to apply?
I want a fully online experience
Pathway Two is designed for students who are working full time and who need the flexibility of a fully online program. Courses are offered online with options that do not interfere with your work schedule. In partnership with some school systems, we have developed ways to allow field experiences in certain courses to align with the work you already do as a paraprofessional. Check with our program director, Alisa Leckie if you are interested in your school system partnering with us.
Learn more about this opportunity to earn your teaching certification through an accelerated fully online Bachelor’s of Interdisciplinary Studies to Master of Arts in Teaching Special Education.
Ready to apply?
I have completed a Bachelor’s Degree
Pathway Three is designed for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in a non-educational field. If you have a 2.5 GPA and want to obtain teacher certification, you may be eligible to apply for admission into one of our Master of Arts in Teaching program. You may also have the opportunity to work as a full time teacher of record, and earn a teaching salary while completing your coursework*. (some MAT programs require additional content requirements for completion)
Ready to apply?
- Visit the Georgia Southern University graduate admissions page. Once admitted, work with your academic advisor in our Graduate Academic Services Center and enroll in courses.
Financial Support Options
Need further information?
Contact our Assistant Dean for Partnerships and Outreach, Alisa Leckie, email@example.com
Last updated: 9/8/2023