Field Experience Placement Policies
Field Experience and Clinical Practice Policy for Initial Teacher Preparation Programs
Field placements are very important to candidates in the teacher preparation program. Georgia Southern University and its Partner Schools place great importance on field experiences and clinical practice.
- All field experiences are coordinated between the Office of Initial Educator Preparation and Assessment, academic programs, and Partner Schools.
- An attempt will be made to place two or more teacher candidates in a school. An exception to this clustering policy could be rendered by a program or department. This exception would be a result of specialization required of the clinical supervisor. (This does not apply to candidates in an on-line MAT program.)
- One geographical area will serve Georgia Southern’s teacher candidate population. The primary area is within a 70 mile radius of each Georgia Southern campus (this includes Teachers of Record). Candidates can expect the maximum one-way travel to schools is 70 miles or less from either Georgia Southern campus to a school placement. Field experiences, including student teaching, for students in the online MAT Concentrations in Elementary Education, Health and Physical Education, and Special Education will be considered in the Georgia region in which you are located. Field experiences for the MAT Concentration in Spanish, including student teaching, will take place within a 70 mile radius of the Georgia Southern University Statesboro campus. Field experiences for the MAT Concentrations in Secondary Education or Middle Grades Education can occur anywhere in Georgia if you are the teacher of record. If you are not a teacher of record, student teaching will take place within a 70 mile radius of the Georgia Southern University Statesboro or Armstrong campus.
- All field placements and clinical practice assignments are identified and assigned by program director/coordinator. Placements will be non-negotiable.
- Teacher candidates seldom receive a field placement at a school site where they have had a previous field experience placement. This policy provides candidates with diversity in placements and teaching experiences. The exception to this policy is year-long placements during the senior year.
- Teacher candidates are not placed in schools where they have attended, relatives are employed, or relatives are enrolled as students.
- Teacher candidates that have an identified disability requiring accommodations during a field experience or clinical practice, must consult with the SARC the semester prior to the field experience to discuss accommodations. All teacher candidates must successfully demonstrate their ability to meet, with or without accommodations, the standards and expectations of the teaching profession.
- Teacher candidates are limited to enrolling in a maximum of 12 semester hours during the clinical practice semester. The exception to this is when a candidate is enrolled in ESED 5235 and/or COED 3160.
- Candidates enrolled in a Master of Arts in Teaching program can only accept employment in a Georgia school that meets the GaPSC requirements see rule 505-3-.01, section 4 (iv).
- Candidates enrolled in a Master of Arts in Teaching program and are hired by a school system as a Teacher of Record, must be teaching in the content area of the certification they are seeking.
- Candidates enrolled in a Master of Arts in Teaching program and are hired by a school system as a Teacher of Record, must be teaching full-time in the content area of the certification they are seeking during their semester of clinical practice/internship
Intervention Policies for Field Experiences and Clinical Practice
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of two (2) Professional Support Plans (A/B) (each for different areas of difficulty) per field experience or clinical practice.
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of one (1) Probationary Status per field experience or clinical practice.
- Candidates may repeat each field experience or clinical practice one (1) time.
- Withdrawing without academic penalty, withdrawing failing, or withdrawing at the recommendation of the program faculty from a field experience or clinical practice will be considered one (1) attempt at that field experience.
- When school personnel request that candidates be removed from the school for performance or professional reasons the placement will end immediately. A new field placement will rarely be identified until the following semester.
Last updated: 5/18/2020