Skip to main content

Prospective Students

Earn an M.Ed., Ed.S., or Ed.D. degree your way through the online, hybrid or on-campus graduate programs through the College of Education. To view a full list of offerings visit the Degree Programs page. For more information contact

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost of tuition?

You can find information about Tuition and Fees at to estimate the cost of tuition.

NOTE: Tuition and Fees are constantly changing. Actual costs will be determined when you register for classes each semester. Please check the Tuition and Fees website for the most up to date information.

What is the deadline for my application?

Deadlines vary by program. Please visit for information.

What is the cut off score for the GRE or MAT tests?

There is no minimum score posted for the GRE or MAT tests. We look for scores in the higher percentiles. Percentile information can be found on the test’s website. However, when reviewing applications for admission, the entire packet is reviewed.

NOTE: GRE or MAT scores are not required for admission to all programs. Please check the requirements for your program to see if this is required.

How long are my GRE or MAT scores valid for?

GRE and MAT scores are valid for up to five (5) years from the date of the test.

What is Georgia Southern’s school code for the GRE or MAT?

The code for the GRE is 5253.
The code for the MAT is 1101.

What is Georgia Southern’s school code for the GACE?

The code for the GACE is 417.

What is the statement of purpose?

The Statement of Purpose is a personal narrative addressing your academic and professional goals and why you are seeking instruction in your chosen graduate program. The narrative should include a description of your expectations of the program.

What type of financial aid is available for graduate students?

There are some scholarships offered through the College of Education. More information on these can be found on the Graduate Student Scholarships page. Check with the Office of Financial Aid for complete financial aid information including loans, grants, and scholarships.

Graduate Assistantships are also available. For more information visit:

What steps do I need to take to apply for admission?

  1. Complete and submit the online application found at the Office of Graduate Admissions website and submit the $50.00 application fee (non-refundable). Applications will not be processed until the application fee is received.

    NOTE: Georgia On My Line programs require a different application.

  2. Submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended.
  3. Submit other documents as required by the program to which you are applying as listed on the application.

Can I appeal an admission decision?

Yes; for more information visit the Graduate Appeals Procedures for the College of Education page. If you have questions please call the College of Graduate Studies at 912-478-2647.

I cannot attend this semester, how do I update my application?

Contact Graduate Admissions at or 912-478-5384. Provide your full name (as it appears on your application), Eagle ID (if you know it), which program you are applying for, and what semester you would like to update to.

NOTE: Per the Academic Catalog an applicant may submit a one-time request for an update to their application to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Should you choose to change your program or your term of entry after the update has taken place you will not be allowed to update this application and you will be advised to reapply.

I was a student but took time off. What do I need to do to re-enter my program of study?

A student who does not enroll for three or more consecutive semesters must re-apply to (and be accepted into) a graduate program before being considered for re-entry.

Where do I send transcripts and other admission documents?

Georgia Southern University
Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 8113
Statesboro, GA 30460

Or, electronically to:

How can I have courses transferred?

Generally, you can request that your advisor review your prior transcripts after you have been admitted into a program. However, you may also check with the Program Coordinator prior to applying to see if transcripts can be reviewed early. Ultimately, your academic advisor will approve transfer courses on an amended program of study.

A maximum of nine (9) transferred semester hours may be applied toward a Master’s or Education Specialist degree with advisor approval. Courses are valid for up to 7 years. To view the entire transfer credit policy utilize the current graduate catalog at and search “transfer credit.”

What is the Package Code for

The Georgia Southern Package Code is ge00 for the first background check.

If a recheck is required, the code is ge00r.

How long are background checks good for?

They are good for two (2) years, UNLESS you enter into a structured practicum or internship. If the internship/practicum falls within two (2) years, a recheck is required through prior to beginning the field experience. You will be notified by your advisor or practicum/internship instructor of the recheck requirement. If a recheck is required, the code is ge00r.

Can I have my company fill out the Employment Background Check Verification Form?

No. If your prospective program requires the background check as an application requirement, you must submit to a criminal background check through

Can I fax my Employment Background Check Verification Form?

No. If your prospective program requires the background check as an application requirement, you must submit to a criminal background check through

How long does it take for my background check to be complete?

Results are normally returned within 3-5 business days. Turnaround time will vary based on the specific items in your order. You can keep up to date on your background check status through your CastleBranch account at

If you notice that your background check is taking longer to process, log into your CertifiedProfile account at to be sure you do not have any outstanding items to complete.

How are classes offered?

A number of graduate-level programs and courses are offered online. See the College of Education’s Degrees & Programs webpage for links to fully online program information.

Do you offer online courses?

Some programs have online course offerings. As course offerings change each semester, utilize the course rotation information found on the program’s webpage. You may also use the Course Search option to find course offerings for a specific term. A fully online course is identified by “F” in the section number (Ex. 01F, 02F, etc.).

To see a list of programs offered fully online, visit: Online options will be designated after the program title.

Is my application complete?

You can check your application status online at

Helpful Links

Last updated: 8/19/2022