Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education
The Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education at Georgia Southern University offers a variety of programs to prepare teachers and provide advanced professional development. Programs at the undergraduate level include middle grades education (4-8) with concentrations in English language arts, math, science and social studies; secondary education (6-12) with specializations in biology, chemistry, English, history, mathematics and physics; and health and physical education (P-12).
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program offers initial teacher preparation at the graduate level in middle grades, health and physical education, and Spanish education, as well as secondary education in areas of biology, broad field science, chemistry, economics, English, history, geography, mathematics, physics, and political science. The department offers Master of Education (M.Ed.) degrees in middle grades and secondary education and in Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (TCLD/ESOL). It also offers the Teaching and Learning Education Specialist (Ed.S.) program in middle grades education in areas of language arts, reading, math, science, and social studies and in secondary education in areas of biology, broad field science, business, chemistry, economics, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, and political science education. In addition to these degree programs, the department also offers endorsements in English of speakers of other languages (ESOL), gifted education, and teacher support and coaching.
The programs are devoted to preparing P-12 teachers to:
- address the diverse academic needs of all students
- implement high academic standards for all students
- develop school and community partnerships as part of school instructional programs
- affect student learning among special school populations
- incorporate technological resources to enhance student learning
- apply best practices in P-12 schools
Explore your interests in the following degree programs, and find out which program is right for you!
- Health and Physical Education B.S.Ed. – Statesboro Campus
- Middle Grades Education B.S.Ed. – Statesboro Campus
- Secondary Education B.S.Ed. – Armstrong, Statesboro Campuses
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement (Undergraduate Level) – Online
- Gifted In-Field Endorsement-Undergraduate Level – Online
- Teaching and Learning Ed.S. – Online
- Teaching M.A.T.
- Middle Grades Education M.Ed. – Online
- Secondary Education M.Ed. – Online
- Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Students M.Ed. – Online
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement (Graduate Level) – Online
- Gifted In-Field Endorsement (Graduate Level) – Online
- Teacher Support and Coaching Endorsement – Online