Prior Learning Assessments: Procedures and Timelines
Prior Learning Assessments are available for TCLD 6233 – Applied Linguistics for ESOL/TCLD and TCLD 6235 – Methods for Teaching ESOL/TCLD. M.Ed. in TCLD students can choose to attempt, none, either, or both. Successful completion of each assessment will result in 3 graduate credits per assessment toward the M.Ed in TCLD (for a maximum total of 6 credits).
Prior Learning Assessments must be completed by an applicant/student prior to being admitted to the program or during their first semester in the program.
If you are interested in attempting one or both assessments, please follow the steps below:
- Complete Part 1 on the Prior Learning Assessment Form for EACH assessment you wish to attempt.
- Email your complete form(s) to the TCLD Program Director, Alisa Leckie, at email@example.com at least one week prior to the beginning of the next testing window (listed below).
- Use the study guide, portfolio description, and rubric to prepare for the assessments. Note: The Applied Linguistics assessment is an exam that must be taken during testing window. The ESOL Methods assessment is a portfolio that can be prepared in advance of the testing period.
- At the beginning of the two-week testing window, you will receive log in information sent to the email you used to submit the initial form. This log-in information will allow you to access the online Applied Linguistics exam and the dropbox for the ESOL Methods portfolio.
- Complete the exam and/or upload your portfolio during the two week window.
- The TCLD Program Director will email results and feedback approximately one week after the testing period ends. A grade of a B (80%) or better must be earned to receive credit. Earned credit will appear as “K” credit on transcripts.
|Summer 2021:||June 14-July 12 (Applications for Fall admission due July 1)|
|Fall 2021:||October 4-18 (Applications for Spring admission due Nov.1)|
|Spring 2022:||March 7-21 (Applications for Summer admission due April 1)|
|Summer 2022||June 3-July 11 (Applications for Fall admission due July 1)|
|Applied Linguistics Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Study Guide|
|ESOL Methods Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Rubric|
|ESOL Methods Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)|
Last updated: 3/8/2022